HER SIDE OF THE STORY | SURPRISE PROPOSAL | DAVE AND BRANDI | MILWAUKEE PHOTOGRAPHY | HAPPY GNOME PHOTOGRAPHY



Last week I shared Daves story on his proposal to Brandi and what it meant to him to have that special moment photographed.  (If you missed that story you can find it here!) 

Today I'm sharing Brandi's side of the story!  We can't forget that there's always someone else on the other side of that ring!

Brandi's Proposal Story (as told by Brandi!)

How can I begin to describe my proposal? Such a mess of emotions overwhelms me. To say that I was stunned and completely surprised is an understatement.  

My dear friend Amy (a beautifully talented photographer) recruited me to be model so she could highlight this new studio space she was using. Having been in front of Amy's camera several times before, I immediately jumped at the chance and enlisted another very dear friend of mine, Allison. I couldn't imagine a more fantastic girls' day, then getting glammed up with these two lovelies and smiling pretty (or putting on smoldering eyes, if the pose called for it) for the camera. These two women are simply amazing. They remind me every day of all that is good in this world and set an example of whom I strive to be. 



After much debating and rescheduling, Allison and I were finally on our way to Milwaukee, about 90 minutes north of where we live. We were all ready to get dolled up and strut our stuff for the camera. Seeing as this was the second time I had done this type of modeling for Amy, I was the veteran model and went first. By the time the stylist was done working her magic, I was in full model mode. "Smile. Don't smile. Turn a little. Tuck the shoulder. Bring down the chin. Relax. Eyes sparkling."


I moved through the day with my best girls, laughing, talking, sharing, posing.  I had not a care in the world. Around mid-day, Amy had Allison and I switch gears and posed us in front of this beautiful red, barn door. As I stood there waiting for my direction I thought to myself "my gosh, all my photographer friends would be so jealous of this red door. It's stunning"  I never connected the red door as being for me. Never did it dawn on me what might be about to happen. I was simply, beautifully, clueless. As I stood in front of that door smiling and tucking my chin, Amy said to me "Do you mind if I bring someone else in with you for a few pictures?" Assuming she meant Allison I said "duh, of course". Amy then walked right past Allison (who stood there looking as clueless as I) and around the corner out of my line of view. As Amy came back around the corner, I quickly noticed my boyfriend, David, right behind her.



Instantly, my mind went "My David is here!  YAY! My David. But why? Why isn't he getting our daughter from his parents' house. What was he doing here, when he was supposed to be 90 minutes south of here?" He walked over to me, in front of that beautiful red door, and I was just so happy to see him that I gave him a huge hug and kiss. As he stepped out of our embrace, I saw him slowly reach toward the front pocket of his jeans.  It was with that small gesture, that I knew what was happening. I knew he was going to propose. I knew this was the moment I had been waiting for. I struggled to stay present, stay alert and focused. I yelled at myself  in my head "pay attention! This is your moment! You won't get another one of these. FOCUS!" Then I just focused on David and his words. "Brandi Michelle, will you marry me?" Short, sweet, and to the point. I was profoundly grateful he didn't give me a long speech that would end up being a mix mash of words in my brain. He saved me from a lifetime, of trying to remember everything he said. I let go of my restraint and squealed and squeaked and managed to eek out a "yes" in between tears. David wrapped me in his arms and everything drifted away. I was just present in the arms of this amazing man, who had just asked me to be his wife!



As typical in David's arms, I found my voice again and began to refocus. There were my two best friends. One clicking away behind a camera that couldn't possibly cover the huge smile on her face. The other, standing across the room, gasping and holding back tears of her own. It was a room so full of love. So full of faith, promise, and future. 




As David and Amy began to explain to me how they had worked together, everything started to make a little more sense. They told me that the gorgeous red door was not just another photography prop of Amy's but rather a gift from David. He had fulfilled my childhood dream of having a red door. Everything just fell into place. My heart was bursting. Having this magical moment recorded for all time was the icing on an already phenomenal cake. Never before has anything been so perfect for the woman I am today. The gratitude in my heart is simply overflowing. I am the luckiest woman in the entire world. 







I know I've said it before gentlemen but I'll say it again.  She will love having photos of that moment when you popped the question!  You've already put so much time and effort into deciding "how" you want to ask.  Doesn't it make sense to give her a memory that will last a lifetime?

Comments

  1. The 5th picture down is just the most perfect picture in the entire world. All the photos are so beautiful, but the 5th one is everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment